Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Making Borhai's character come to Life!

Borhai, the protagonist of Escape from Netherworld, was the hardest of the characters to create on the cover in the alternate realm.  The two other characters on the cover transformed into an elf and a dwarf. Dave, who becomes Borhai in the new realm, goes from being a human dressed as a fighter with makeshift homemade armor to a human fighter with real battle armor.  I went back and forth on how to show him become his character since he was not changing much.  



We used the swirling motion around the character to show Dave becoming Borhai, mainly with his armor becoming real plate mail.  I loved how he is looking at himself, not being able to believe that his homemade armor just became at least 5 times heavier than what he was wearing.



I have never been able to decide which drawing I liked the most of Borhai.  I know that the final painting for the cover looks great, but I have always been a fan of pencil sketching and the work that goes into bringing the character to life.





The finished product for the cover turned out amazing, with a ton of detail involved for his armor. Dave (Borhai) was already a large man and I wanted to show that with the size of his character as well.   



As my blog gets into more detail, I will explain more about Borhai, his relationship with Piper the elf fighter.magic-user and what his thoughts are of being thrown into an alternate realm with his best friends.  Borhai will also probably be making a guest appearance on the blog, explaining some of his thoughts and feelings about their adventure together. I hope you are enjoying the artwork, as a lot went into createing the cover for my book, as I did not want to just go with a stock photo, I wanted to make the cover unique.

No comments:

Post a Comment