Sunday, March 22, 2015

Decision on Book Cover Photo

When I was trying to make a decision on the photo(s) for the cover of the book, my illustrator John Manders, made it an extremely tough decision.  We narrowed it down to two concepts, the first one being the one that made it to the cover, the three characters spread out, which you can see throughout my blog or just by checking out the cover of my book on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, my website or my publisher's site at Word Association.  

My main objective was to not just use a stock photo for the cover of the book.  I wanted it to be unique and my illustrator accomplished this marvelously.  He actually made paintings of the characters, in watercolor, that became the cover.  

The 2nd concept was having the three characters together as a group, which I am including a drawing below of how we did that.  I loved this idea but it did not fit right on the cover with everything else going on.  My problem was that I did not want to give up on this photo of the friends turning into their characters in the alternate realm.  So in the end, I decided to put this photo in the book.  It is in the book, after Chapter 3 and before Chapter 4 begins, as this is where the transformation takes place.



So I feel I got the best of both worlds. the three characters in color on the cover of the book and the group concept inside the book.  Multiple people have written to me and told me they liked the idea of having a picture in the book which they were surprised at when they finished Chapter 3.  It was amazing to have the chance to use both the water color paintings and the great sketch, just in different ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment