Saturday, March 14, 2015

Book vs. E-book, which way do you lean in this battle?

One of the Biggest questions for a reader today is, if I want to buy a book, do I want the e-book on my tablet or do I want the physical copy in my hand.

I know people that only like the physical copy in their hands and some who only download the books they read.  Then you have the ones who will go both ways.

I am one of the people who likes to have the book in my hands to read, especially if it is from an author that I already have the physical copy of another book in the series.  I am a collector and I always want the book itself for the authors I already know and enjoy. But, I will download books to my tablet for books that look interesting but I have not read anything from the author as of yet.

I hate to admit this, but I have several different versions of the same books.  If I don't want to wait for the paperback and have bought the hardback, I still end up buying the paperback especially if it is one of my favorite authors.  Problem is that I also will buy the trilogy copy if there ends up being one and in some cases I end up buying a Collector's Edition if one is made.

So for example, my favorite author is R. A. Salvatore.  I basically have everything that he has ever published and he was my inspiration for becoming an author as his fight scenes are legendary in the science fiction and fantasy genres. So for the Dark Elf Trilogy, i have the hardbacks, the paperbacks, the trilogy edition, the Collector's hardback edition and even went out and bought the Anniversary editions of the books. I always wondered if there were other people like me that do this with their favorite authors or books.



I get the concept of only downloading the books, as you can basically carry around 5000 books with you and it takes up no room in your home to do so.  I have just not convinced myself as of now that I don't need the multiple book shelves in my study with all the books from my favorite authors.  Maybe one day I will get there.

 Or, maybe one day, someone will come up to me at a book signing or in a store and tell me that they have multiple versions of my books and I can look back and think of a time that I did the same thing.

Tell me what you think, which way you lean in this battle and why you think that way.  I would love to hear opinions from both sides and enjoy knowing that whichever way you lean, you are still reading today.

No comments:

Post a Comment