Monday, April 20, 2015

Dealing with Writer's Block

Every author is asked at some point how they deal with writer's block.  I have two different approaches I use where most of the time at least one of them work. 

My first process is to go out into my garage.  I will open the door to get in the fresh air.  In my garage I have a large collection of weights with a bench.  Before I start to lift weights, I will put on a CD to listen to while I work out.  My two favorites groups to lift to are Metallica and Korn.  Korn normally worked the best. You can basically bench the bar to the rhythm of the music.


I will do as many sets of different exercises that I can to wear myself out physically, which in turn seems to help me start to concentrate mentally. Something about these two groups get my mind thinking about the next chapter or character that will be presented in the book. If this does not work, I have my favorite way of getting through the block.

As a science fiction fantasy writer, I pride myself on the details of a battle scene and try to draw the reader into the book as if they are watching the scene live in person.  I try to get the reader to fantasize that they are in an arena watching the battle as it happens.  This is where my next process comes into play to overcome writer's block.  My favorite movie to watch and the battle scene I enjoy the most is from the beginning of Gladiator.  



Ridley Scott does such an amazing job with the first fight scene in this movie, it starts getting my blood flowing and my mind churning.  Usually by the time Russell Crowe comes from behind the barbarians and enters the battlefield, I have already started planning how my next battle scene in the book will play out. 


I know every author has their own method of trying to get through writer's block.  Some use quiet time, going for a walk or getting out for awhile.  For some reason, those ideas never worked for me.  I don't know if it is because I enjoy writing my fight scenes or not, but the process I go through involves other battles or heavy metal music.  This works for me almost every time I try it, besides Gladiator is a great movie and Korn is amazing music to lift to anyway. 






No comments:

Post a Comment